Contact hours available until 5/1/2023.
Requirements for Successful Completion:
Complete the learning activity in its entirety and complete the online CNE evaluation. You will be able to print your CNE certificate at any time after you complete the evaluation.
Conflict of Interest Disclosure:
• Glenda M. Payne, MS, RN, CNN, is the owner of an accreditation organization with deemed status for ESRD.
• Lucy Todd, MSN, ACNP, CNN, is an employee of Baxter Healthcare.
• Rhonda Campbell Duggan, BSN, RN, CCTC, is an employee at Fresenius Medical Care Renal Therapies Group and is a consultant and/or member of the Speaker’s Bureau for Alexion Pharmaceuticals.
• Elizabeth C. Evans, MSN, RN, CNP, DNP, is on the Advisory Board for Abbvie Hepatitis C.
• Donna Painter, MS, RN, CNN, is an employee of Fresenius Kidney Care.
• Tanya D. Scott, BSN, RN, CNN, is an employee of Fresenius Kidney Care.
• Cynthia Smith, DNP, APRN, CNN-Np, FNP-BC, FNKF, is a consultant for Abbvie, Sanofi Genzyme, and Vifor, a consultant and/or member of the Speakers Bureau for Abbvie, Sanofi Genzyme, Relypsa/Vifor.
• Teresa R. Villaran, MSN, MS, CCRN, CNN, CNE, is an employee of Fresenius Medical Care.
• Paula Dutka, MSN, RN, CNN is a consultant for Rockwell Medical and a research coordinator for studies with Fibrogen, Akebia, GSK, CARA, Otsuka, Bayaer as part of her role at NYU Winthrop Hospital.
There are no other disclosures to declare.
Commercial Support and Sponsorship:
No commercial support or sponsorship declared.
American Nephrology Nurses Association – Provider is accredited with distinction as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
ANNA is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, provider number CEP 00910.
These CNE offerings meet the continuing nursing education requirements for certification and recertification by the Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission (NNCC).
After reading this chapter, the learner will state an increased ability to describe how the nephrology nurse's understanding of kidney function begins with information addressing genetics and genomics and builds with topics encompassing kidney function, pathophysiology, and methods to assess the kidneys.